Vito Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vito Owners Club

Mercedes vito, viano owners club

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Newbie with Viano.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
midget

Newbie with Viano. Empty
PostSubject: Newbie with Viano.   Newbie with Viano. EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 8:09 pm

Hi all,
Newbie today(didn't know this place excisted) and wonder if any of you guys can help me with the first prob that I have had with my '04 Viano 2.2 CDI,which I've had from new and done 87000 m with no major worries.
When used at 1/2 throttle it drives perfectly-but as soon as you use serious boost
the E/M light comes on and she drops into "limp mode" until you reset by turning ignition off, pause and restart.
Have had diagnostic check which, surprise suprise notes overboost pressure.
Have fitted new air mass sensor(which cured the 316 Sprinter I had) but to no avail.
Any suggestions welcome----I'me p----d off with merc dealers in this country.
I used to travel on buisiness to germany and to those that need telling, they are the real deal-not cheap but get it right first time.

Thanks for time and rant!
John

Last edited by midget on Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
VitoSpares

Newbie with Viano. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie with Viano.   Newbie with Viano. EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 9:31 am

Check you actuator on the turbo, They seize up on these meaning the turbo overboosts - Its a Variable Vain type turbo which directs the gases over a certain path to increase or decreasethe ammount of boost you get. If this is sticky and cannot react like the ECU is telling it to then it will drop it into limp mode!

Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
http://www.vitospares.com
midget

Newbie with Viano. Empty
PostSubject: Newbie with Viano.   Newbie with Viano. EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 3:12 pm

Hi--Thanks for that Mark. I did notice that the actuating arm and pivot of the wastegate control(?) was rusty. Is this the source of the malfuction ?or is it the whole unit that siezes? Should it be possibe to operate it by hand? when not running obviously. BTW I now realize what you meant re my PM to you
Back to top Go down
VitoSpares

Newbie with Viano. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie with Viano.   Newbie with Viano. EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 3:16 pm

No probs.

If you get someone to start the engine, when your looking at it in the engine bay, it should move as much as the actuator can pull it. Its moving the vains in the turbo. If it doesn't take the actuator arm off the turbo ( Small C clip) and see if the turbo part feels like its moving freely! If it doesn't the there is your problem!

Mark
Back to top Go down
http://www.vitospares.com
Sponsored content

Newbie with Viano. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie with Viano.   Newbie with Viano. Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie with Viano.
Page 1 of 1